Pages

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Anything But A Visa Credit Card: An Argument Against the Lack of Common Payment Forms

          For most students, paying for tuition is a stressful process. The idea of loads of money, that took them long hours to make, being sucked out of their account as if it was never there can be disheartening. Students who don't have the luxury of mom and dad paying their way, do not take financing their education lightly; especially when the payment options are limited. At CSUSB, the payment options are, to me, unpractical. The Bursars office accepts payments in the form of cash, visa debit and/or credit card. The credit cards they accept are Master Card, American Express and Discover. They accept Visa debit cards, but not Visa Credit cards.
         Compared to American Express and Master Card, Visa Credit cards are way more common.(Check out this link on most used credit card statistics.) Knowing this concept, why wouldn't CSUSB, modify their payment options to enable students to pay for tuition with what they have? If the board would take into consideration the socioeconomic status of the majority of its students, then they would see the need for a Visa Credit card option. Most students can barely afford paying their high tuition, let alone a bill from American Express that expects you to pay all  moneys used, in full. This complete inconsideration for students is more relevant now than ever. I have experienced this horrible payment system and have almost exploded due to not having the appropriate payment form required.
          Just this year, I had to pay my tuition. I waited in line at the Bursar's office and when finally making it up to the window, I was informed I had the wrong payment form. I thought, like other students have thought, that my common Visa credit card would no doubt be accepted. Not at all. They said they only took Visa debit cards. Already fuming from the shocking increase in tuition and now on the verge of a meltdown, I had to leave Cal State and go to my bank to have them take money out of my credit card. This inconvenient, inconsiderate, event happens every quarter. I am appalled that this has been going on for so long. We need consideration from the board and we need it now. It's very sad that the simplest ways to help improve student satisfaction in the midst of so much dissatisfaction, are being avoided.

No comments:

Post a Comment