Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Where is our money going??


Classes at four year universities are becoming more expensive and scarcer. I started out as a transfer student from a local community college to commute to a California State University. The community college I attended was Riverside Community College, there I had no problem getting the classes I needed AND I was able to pay for my classes, parking, and books without breaking my bank. When I transferred to California State University of San Bernardino my luck changed. My first quarter was alright and same with my second, but my third quarter was not the case! My third quarter I had the toughest time enrolling in classes I needed and fit my schedule. There is the argument where maybe I need fewer classes, therefore it is going to be harder to fit it in a two day schedule; I see that as being partially true. The argument that I think validates this case more is the fact that classes are being cut. Chancellor from University California, Riverside said in an article from NY times “I’d be lying if I said what we offer students hasn’t been changed and that there hasn’t been a degradation of the learning environment”. This should make my peers angry with concern of where our money goes. If our money was going towards our education, making it the best it can be by promoting the professors or congratulating them with rewards, new books or parking structures, then I’m sure the students will be more accepting to the increase of tuition. But when there is an increase with tuition and an increase of classes being cut is when students need to have a voice protesting against the way the administrators are spending our money.

No comments:

Post a Comment